Question cocerning the native term for god(s) and imported Christianity

Chun Jimmy Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Thu Aug 28 19:50:41 UTC 2008

Tabe (greetings),

I have been looking at a copy of Dutch-English-Siraya St. Mattew's
for Siraya language revitalization (an indigenous Austronesian
language in Taiwan). It was edited by the Dutch missionary Daniel
Gravius in 1661. What I have found is that when translating the
bible to Siraya, Gravius had kept the native term that referred to
god in general, "alid," and used it to refer to the Christian god.
Later I realized that the same applied to other indigenous
languages in Taiwan. That is, the Presbyterian missionaries that
came to Taiwan all kept the native terms for god(s) and
incorporated them into their Christian missions.

Curiously, on the other hand, the Spanish Catholic priests who
went to the Philippines around the same time had replaced the
native terms for god(s) with "Dios".

so the different choices in terms of whether appropriating the
native religious terms into Christianity or not (which may lead to
significant sociolinguistic consequences). It makes me wonder if
such difference in choice is pertinent to (Presbyterian)
Protestant vs. Catholics and/or Dutch vs. Spanish.

I'd much appreciate if anyone can share some insights from the
American experience or from other regions.

madag ki alilid (thanks very much)!

Chun (Jimmy) Huang
PhD candidate,
Linguistics, University of Florida
Special assistant,
Tainan Ping-pu Siraya Culture Association