Question cocerning the native term for god(s) and imported Christianity

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sun Aug 31 20:15:31 UTC 2008

Phil,

I don't understand your response. My point, which you have not addressed,
is that Jefferson's religious views were radically different from those
of mainstream Christianity, so he could not have imposed a Christian
theological interpretation on the Constitution unless by this you mean
something so vague as merely coming from a Christian tradition. I didn't
deny that he was a deist (though his views often tended toward outright
atheism, though he didn't quite go there in a consistent way).

Bill