Question cocerning the native term for god(s) and imported Christianity

Chun Jimmy Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sun Aug 31 22:57:36 UTC 2008

I am not a US citizen and don't know the nationalistic history of
the US enough to comment. So here I'd just like to respond to two
issues Phil has alluded to: (1) the concept of ownership and (2)
gender - both related to the issue of imported world-sense along
with the imported religion.

(1) In traditional Siraya society there was no concept of
ranking-of-people, leadership, and hence servitude or slavery. But
to introduce Christianity the missionary Gravius had to tell the
biblical stories that evoked these concepts. As a result, in his
translation of St. Mattew we find the word for child "alak" (and
sometimes boys "raraway" - but not girls!) used to mean slaves or
servants. And he used the phrase "to let sit" figuratively to mean
"to serve [the lord]."

(2) While "alid" in old Siraya language was just a generic term
for gods/ heavenly spirits and Siraya folks in fact worshiped more
than one god, today the Christian as well as the non-Christian
Sirayans all recognize one higher god. Note that in the context of
Taiwan the imported concept of "dominance in singularity" may have
had multiple inputs - besides Christianity, there is Chinese
Confucianism, which may actually be more influential in Taiwan
(and both emphasize singular male dominance!).

So anyway for the Sirayan folks today who still more or less (b/c
it's much Sinicized) maintain the traditional religion, when
speaking of "the Alid" they in fact call upon a powerful female
deity. As they also call for "Alid-Mother." (Traditionally, the
Siraya society was matri-focal and religion was mostly a female
domain and the benevolent deities were all female.)

On the other hand, the (Presbyterian) Christian Sirayans today do
use "meirong (good) Alid" to refer to God/Lord/Father.

Hum... so far what I have observed is that the two religious
groups in fact respect each other and they interact well. I have
not witnessed conflicts due to the interpretation of Alid's
gender. After all, they all acknowledge "Alid."

Chun (Jimmy) Huang/ Paparil
PhD candidate,
Linguistics, University of Florida
Special assistant,
Tainan Ping-pu Siraya Culture Association