UH Hilo to award first Ph.D. at 2008 fall commencement (fwd link)

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Thu Dec 18 18:21:28 UTC 2008

Wow! That's even better... Thanks Keola for the expansion update. I sure hope this will initiate some movement in a similar direction and with many more indigenous peoples and languages. What is that old idiom... 'I shall return....' Indications are, that is happening now. Right on too. Best of luck to all. This is great stuff.
-------
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Keola Donaghy
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:28 AM
  Subject: Re: [ILAT] UH Hilo to award first Ph.D. at 2008 fall commencement (fwd link)

  One of the aspects of the program not mentioned in this article or really elsewhere has been the extensive use of video and audio conferencing to bring a very broad indigenous, and not just Hawaiian, perspective to the program. This included two classes by Bill Demmert at Western Washington delivered to our students in Hilo a few years ago, as well as others at U of Arizona and in Alaska. This past semester, we had a class which originated in Hilo and taught by Dr. Noelani Iokepa-Guerrero and which was delivered to students in Aotearoa, Alaska, Wisconsin, Arizona as well as Hawai‘i students on the islands of Moloka‘i and Kaua‘i. Students in our MA and Ph.d. programs were able to count the classes toward our programs, and students at the other institutions did the same for those schools. Strength in numbers and diversity. I've been planning to write a short article on this most recent class, I'll post it here when I do.

  Keola

  Keola Donaghy
  Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
  Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
  University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

  "Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
  A country without its language is a country without its soul.