UH Hilo to award first Ph.D. at 2008 fall commencement (fwd link)

susan.penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 19 12:49:13 UTC 2008

Phil,Scott and all,

Does the idea of placing this type of program in a tribal college make the
most sense, for now?

S.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM, phil cash cash <pasxapu at dakotacom.net>wrote:

> Hi Scott, good question and one to consider carefully.
>
> One immediate thought this moment is that such a program would be wholly
> oriented as a community-based education model rather than as a professional
> education model.  In a community-based model, one's program would responsive
> to community needs and knowledge.  It would require building a cooperative
> and mutally supportive relationship(s) with a local community.  Teaching,
> curriculum, and learning (to the extent possible) would be grounded to
> reflect community culture and values.  In other words, the student would be
> required to engage both the content and means to knowledge thru others.
>  Much like linguistic or ethnographic "fieldwork," right?  Professional
> models most often do not require such engagement, in fact, it is often
> discouraged due to philosophical or other reasons.  But the critical
> situation with endangerment is changing everybodies mind on matters of
> language research and it is refreshing to read Dr. Simons new proposal for
> this kind of language work.  This kind of responsiveness is critical,
> especially if you have only a handful of elders who speak the language and
> maybe a handful more who can practice the culture.
>
> Phil Cash Cash (Cayuse/Nez Perce)
>
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Scott DeLancey wrote:
>
>  Phil (and others) -- Help me imagine what a program like that
>> might look like.
>>
>> Scott DeLancey
>> Department of Linguistics 1290 University of Oregon
>> Eugene, OR 97403-1290, USA
>>
>> delancey at uoregon.edu
>> http://www.uoregon.edu/~delancey/prohp.html
>>

>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, phil cash cash wrote:
>>
>>  Wouldn't it be swell if we all could establish a doctoral program
>>> supporting our
>>> language(s)?  A feel good thought for today...
>>>
>>> Phil
>>> UofA
>>> Quoting Rolland Nadjiwon :
>>>
>>>    Thanks Phil...that is really great news to receive. I have been

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
(Currently on leave to the National Science Foundation.
E-mail: spenfiel at nsf.gov)

Department of English (Primary)
Faculty affiliate in Linguistics, Language, Reading and Culture,
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT),
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
The Southwest Center
University of Arizona,
Tucson, Arizona 85721