The Revival of the Lakota Language (fwd link)

Sun Dec 28 17:12:45 UTC 2008

The Revival of the Lakota Language

By Tim Giago (Nanwica Kciji)
© 2008 Native American Journalists Foundation, Inc.

December 29, 2008

A young Lakota man, maybe seventeen years old, approached me as I waited in line
at a local fast food joint to get a cup of coffee. It was the week of the Lakota
Nation Invitational Basketball Tournament that is held in Rapid City every
December.

The young man shook my hand and said he reads my weekly column in the Todd
County Tribune. "You must be from Rosebud," I said. He grinned and said, "You
got that right." He asked me how to pronounce my Lakota name, Nanwica Kciji. I
said, "It is pronounced Nah Wee Chak gee gee." He tried to say it once, but
laughed at his mispronunciation. "What does it mean?" he asked. "It means,
Stands Up for Them," I responded.

Access full article below:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-giago/the-revival-of-the-lakota_b_153780.html