language documentation & Linguists

Jon Allan Reyhner Jon.Reyhner at NAU.EDU
Wed Dec 31 03:52:11 UTC 2008

All:

Some of the tensions between local activists and professional linguists are discussed in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th papers in Indigenous Language Revitalization: Encouragement, Guidance & Lessons Learned (2009), which is on-line at http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jar/ILR/

The subtitle is courtesy of Darrell Kipp, who has the first paper in the collection in which he writes about the Blackfeet Immersion School he helped found. The second paper by Margaret Noori discusses some of her experience raising her children as speakers of her Native language.

Jon Reyhner
Professor of Bilingual Multicultural Education
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, Arizona
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jar/
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Zane Smith [rzs at WILDBLUE.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:52 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] language documentation

Hi Bernadette, and Claire,

thanks for sharing these insights Bernadette,
you are fortunate to have fluency yourself and among many speakers and obviously the problems you
all face ( eg. dialect differences) are going to be different than those of us struggling to revive
dormant languages as us Wyandot and Wendat (of the old "Huron" Confederacy)
Our efforts are much more like putting the shock paddles to a heart that stopped beating;
a little rough but necessary for survival.

Knowing what we know now what would we do different?
 Claire, these are several I've thought about:

It is important NOT to wait for funding before starting. (we lost precious elders and much time)
And of course,practically, its important for grant application to have an existing record of effort.
But i strongly feel that If our passion for language exists only when its convenient
or when our projects are supported financially,then there is something wrong with us.
language has evolved and survived without money for eons of time.

Because we are relying heavily upon academia,written materials and very little audio,
We should NEVER again rely upon the work of one professional linguist,and assume that
just because he is a well trained professor that his decisions are "good enough"
This has happened with us and unfortunately now there is much "undoing to do".
Now some tribal members are resentful that anyone would doubt his professionalism.

We should have started out with a tribally active Language Committee
even if it means some are not well-versed in the language ,we need to
make decisions of OUR OWN. Even if it calls for the re-designing of a word
if the committee feels its necessary. Its OUR language. Our cultural property.
And we should have started with atleast three trained linguists who are not
merely interested in publishing their own favored "conclusive" materials,
but are actively dedicated in seeing our language revived.

Ok and for all you NON-tribal professional linguists:
When those of us are preparing lessons to teach and we run things by you,
If there is ambiguity or uncertainty we can accept that, and you can help us alter our plans
to redirect into areas that are more certain.  But Children need some certainty and predictability.
Please try not to shut a door on us. please don't halt our efforts with; "you can't do it that way",
offer us some options because this is an uphill journey as it is.
Shut doors can be discouraging at a time when progress is difficult already.

well, these are ones that seem like biggies for now!
thanks!

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte, Oklahoma