Common Sense English Act

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri Feb 1 01:57:48 UTC 2008

My friend who is getting her PhD in Bilingual wrote a wonderful paper
specifically on the political implications of German in early America. I
don't remember the details, but someone - could've been Washington but I
don't think so - was worried because he thought all the German speakers
would be able to group together against him and interfere with his political
aims. He made an argument that if German were allowed, that pretty soon, the
whole legislature would be German and not English (etc, etc, etc).

He floated a bill to ban German - of course it failed. People saw right
through it. I wonder, do you think people were smarter or more perceptive,
maybe less insecure, then?

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of MJ Hardman
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:30 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Common Sense English Act

You are forgetting that for a very long time German/Dutch was a rival for
English; there were many German/Dutch newspapers and all the rest.  There
are still many places in the US where German is the common language.  Are
they going to prohibit, e.g., the Amish, etc. from speaking German in the
places where they sell their goods?

MJ