forum

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Mon Feb 11 22:54:57 UTC 2008

If you're looking to start a web-based chatroom/forum, one avenue you
might persue is Freenode.net, an open-access server that supports
internet relay chat (irc) protocol. Of course there are many /many/ irc
servers on the net, but freenode has a large community of people
dedicated to open source and open access projects.

If you want to integrate irc with a website, I believe it's easy enough
to download and install a java or flash-based website-dependent chat
client, which are exceedingly easy to use. But the irc servers will also
allow non-web-based chat clients, like mIRC, xchat, etc.

Incidentally, freenode's linguistics room (#linguistics) is quite a
buzzing place, though it is heavily stacked with indo-europeanists and
other european-based people, and more representation from American
languages would be most welcome (same goes for Australian languages).

-Aidan

--
Aidan Wilson

PARADISEC