Australian parliament apologises

Wed Feb 13 17:00:27 UTC 2008

I am very heartened to hear that the Australian aboriginal/indigenous peoples
have received an "apology" from the Australian government.

Last September, I was privileged to be invited to Australia for the Indigenous
Language Conference in Adelaide.  In my conversations with various
aboriginal/indigenous people, I heard first person accounts about racism and
the general hardships of being an aboriginal person, much like what we have
come to know here in North America.  I also heard about the rich culture and
deep connections to place.  It all made me feel very humble knowing that our
own experience paralleled theirs in many ways.

Among the many future possibilities, it is my/our hope that the new government
will strengthen its national programs (or establish new ones) for language
documentation, preservation, & revitalization.

l8ter,

Phil Cash Cash (Cayuse/Nez Perce)
UofA

Quoting Aidan Wilson :