Australian parliament apologises

Claire Bowern anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 13 19:47:12 UTC 2008

The apology issue has a history in Australia. It dates back at least to
the tabling of the 1996 'Bringing them Home' report in federal
parliament, where one of the recommendations was a formal apology, by
the federal government, for the policies of institutionalised racism
which decimated families and communities. The report was commissioned
shortly after the first repudiation of Terra Nullius (before that,
Australia had been assumed in law to be uninhabited country because
Aboriginal people did not have a formal system of land tenure. It was
finally seen to be rubbish in 1990). The former Prime Miniature refused
to issue an apology on the grounds that it would be an admission of
responsibility, and he felt he had nothing to apologise for. (There is
an Australian actor with the same name as the former PM who apologised
in 2000 on his behalf...)

This apology is a formal recognition of the wrongs of past Australian
governments and the damage that those policies did to Australia as a
whole (in legitimising racism), but particularly also to the lives it
destroyed.

We all hope very much that this is the start of something good, and not
the end of the issue. It's too early to say but from what I've seen so
far there is more government goodwill for change and cooperation, and
more openmindedness for new policy initiatives, than we've seen for a
long time. There may even be a willingness to stick to something long
enough to see if it works. I wasn't too hopeful a few weeks ago but even
from the other side of the world I can see a change in attitude. Of
course, goodwill costs nothing, but we didn't even have that before!
Fingers crossed!

Claire