forum

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 15 05:10:21 UTC 2008

Hi Mia,

if I understand correctly, your Apachean issues, aren't so much to do
with Unicode, but with software implementations

As a rule I tend to work more with HTML and XML documents rather than
word processing documents since i have greater control over locale,
collation, normalization, casing, etc.

With word processors you're really stuck with what the developers
choose to implement, and with the time scales it takes to get any
change from vendors.

Thankfully for most of the languages i have to support their are open
source fonts available we can use, distribute and in some cases modify
if required, esp. for some of the Sudanese languages we support which
use variants to the default glyphs normally available.

Input is fairly straight forward these days. Just annoying that
Windows is so tied to fixed input locales

Our biggest barrier are minority ethnic South East Asian languages
which need the font rendering and layout systems to be updated or need
the scripts to be added to the Unicode standard.

Andrew
--
Andrew Cunningham
Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator

andrewc at vicnet.net.au
lang.support at gmail.com