Don ’t take language for granted (fwd link)

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Mon Feb 18 12:52:41 UTC 2008

/*More* /than 7,000?

Apart from this figure being double that which Harrison and Anderson so
publicly announced a few months ago, is this not becoming a bit of an
overly repeated number? Especially since one huge point that emerged out
of the 'language extinction hot-spots' debate was that it was
dramatically simplistic.

For one thing, the language I have been researching is smack-bang in the
middle of the (by memory) second-most severe hotspot and has fewer than
5 competent speakers, all elderly (by Indigenous Australians' standards,
so unfortunately), yet is not mentioned.

Hmm. I don't want to reignite the debate necessarily, I really only
wanted to draw attention to a) the error in this title, and b) the
disproportionate over-representation of this figure in the media over
the months since its initial publication (which I suppose is to be
expected).

-Aidan

--
Aidan Wilson