traditions of assimilation...

Racquel ryamada at UOREGON.EDU
Thu Feb 21 18:38:58 UTC 2008

I have found this conversation so enlightening.  Thank you, all, for providing different perspectives.  It's easy to get stuck in believing only one version of history, but this conversation has reminded me of how important it is to maintain an open mind.

-Racquel

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:26:14 -0200, Joseph Lavalley <graphfix at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

Ahnii, niichquay Rosalyn,

> When and if you do, I would like to see and read that long historical answer.
> It should be interesting to hear someone else's point of view. Maybe there
> is some value to the WHY fundamentalist Christians and Catholic communities
> are the last bastion of indigenous languages across  the country.
>
> Niin sa,
>
> Mishomis dezhniikaz (Joseph Brian Lavalley ), Nme dodem
>

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:37:07 -0500
> From: rrlapier at AOL.COM
> Subject: Re: [ILAT] traditions of assimilation...
> To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
>

> I do not have time to discuss this in full right now. But it has been our experience (at Piegan Institute) that within our community the last stronghold of first language speakers is among the fundamentalist Christians (holy rollers)  and Catholic communities. Why? I could provide a long historical answer. But I won't right now.
>

> However, individuals from these communities have been the most helpful in revitalizing the Blackfeet language, working with our children, recording old stories, translating for us, etc.
>

> So the opposite is true in our community. It is within the devout Christian sects that the Blackfeet language continues and does not have an assimilationist  agenda.

Each Indian community has its own unique history.