No Tears For Dead Tongues (fwd link)

Slavomír Čéplö bulbulthegreat at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 22 19:38:59 UTC 2008

There are many things to disagree with in McWhorter's article. I for
one just don't get the point of the last two paragraphs:

"Indeed a single "world" language would not be in itself catastrophic.
The idea that this language might be English makes plenty of people
uncomfortable. Certainly we cannot erase from our minds the unsavory
aspects of its imperialist history. But imagine if our one world
language were, say, Eyak. Suddenly the idea of one language instead of
6,000 doesn't seem so oppressive."

Let's forget for a while that the emergence of one single world
language is quite unlikely. What suprises me most is that McWhorter
seems to believe that those of us who don't like the idea of most
languages dying out is the fact that they will be replaced by
imperialist tongues like English. Well, no. It doesn't matter - at
least to me, YMMV - what languages will be left. What matters is that
all the others will be gone. Besides, even if what McWhorter says were
true and we really objected to English prevailing just because of its
imperialist (both politically and culturally) past, we would still
object to Eyak should it become the world language, because to do
that, Eyak would have to follow in English's footsteps and become an
imperialist language as well.

Then there's McWhorter's view of multi-/bilingualism:

"When people use their distinct language down the generations, it's
usually bad, indicating discrimination or segregation"

What are his examples? First there is Yiddish and the Jewish life in
the shtetl, which kind of proves his point. But the second is
Pennsylvania German and the Amish. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but
the Amish are neither discriminated against, nor are their living in
what most of us would see as segregation (American South in the 50s).
Their lifestyle is their choice. And that is bad... How exactly?

bulbul