traditions of assimilation...

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Feb 25 23:14:50 UTC 2008

Everyone was so *cool* about this.
In one way, I feel a bit silly about being to absolutely incensed both about
the content of Dirk Elzinga's email, and about what it seems to me to be the
nerve that it took to send it. I was watching an episode of Dexter at lunch,
and one of the characters used the term "entitlement." I guess that's
perhaps what it is, a sense from a certain group of people that they have
the right to tell others how to be. (I'm doing it again; I'll stop.)

It's been interesting reading everyone's responses. I guess for me, the
intersection of language, religion and hegemony cut close to the bone. I
frequently find myself thinking, in response to some unthinking person's
attribution of "whiteness" to me, When did the Jews become "white"? Was it
after the Holocaust killed 18 million of us and our closest undesirable
friends, like the Indigenous Gypsies? Maybe it was when we built Hollywood
because we weren't allowed to hold more "desirable" jobs; we are grateful
for the diamond and gold markets. Or maybe, it was when we built the Mt.
Sinai hospitals, arguably some of the best in the world - because we weren't
allow to practice in "white" hospitals. Maybe it was then that we became
"white". Although, the rumors of our horns still abounded in the middle 40s,
when a friend's father surprised his army cohort because they didn't see
them when he took of his hat. We know it definitely wasn't then.

Maybe on second thought, we learn about the world and people's place in it
and their/our relation to others when we talk about the things that hurt us,
the things that bring tears to our eyes: Maybe it's the million points of
light in Yad Vashem, one for each of the million children whose names are
read endlessly, in remembrance.

Maybe it's "The Silent Scream" and maybe it shouldn't be silent any more.

Mia