traditions of assimilation...

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Thu Feb 28 04:00:40 UTC 2008

Thanks Carol,
that's an excellent example of why this issue is important.
Today i was in the classroom telling an old Wyandot story to spell bound
kiddos
maybe i shouldn't use (((("spell-bound"))))
but when i came to a certain place in the story i realized my choice of
words
could make some of the teachers nervous ,especially here in the Bible belt!
(Or as i like to say...we are in the BULGE over the Bible belt)
In the story a boy is being fed by two spirits that come from the head of a
steer.
But to just say it that way here and leave it, would have a connotation
of something scary----even "demon-possession"
So i had to preface,"Y'all know the story of Aladdin and the magic lamp?
when it is rubbed
the genie comes forth? well this is kinda like that....sorta like two genies
coming out

Well, Then it was ok...everyone could breathe a sigh of relief,
"ah..yes, like the genie"

You are absolutely right . The english translation "witch" has taken over,
even in many traditional N.American communities, when using english language
people talk about being "witched" and therefore needing the "medicine man",
or a priest,or a exorcism by a traveling miracle faith healer,
depending on ones belief in who has the most power.

Actually Its my understanding that the root Hebrew word for "sin" is likely
from
an ancient archery term conveying the meaning "too miss the mark"
(Hebrew scholars? correct me if i'm wrong)
Well ! if we reinstated THAT root definition who would have a problem with
it?
sure! at times we all "miss the mark!"
don't know of a person alive who would argue that they hadn't.

But..in time it became demonized to describe something nasty, a wicked
nature inherited from the original parents who listened to the talking
snake.
The cure often requires specific religious incantations of specific words
and rites
to complete cleansing/conversion often along with a promise to now be a
converter.

wow...strange isn't it?
Historic Christianity has actually given sin a "bad" name!

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte Oklahoma