forum

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Thu Feb 28 22:45:26 UTC 2008

I vote for interactive, Adobe/Macromedia Flash, user-managed learning
materials.
Gets the information out of people's heads - although we have shared a lot
in this thread - and into motion.
People love movies; movies depend on stories; stories are much more
interesting that the linear processes we derive for code development.
People love to be able to go back and forth, fill in the details they missed
without being forced to listen to what they already know. They also like to
be able to take the time they need to grok the points that are more
difficult for them (not everyone learns the same information at the same
speed . . . or to the same level of detail).
:-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Andrew Cunningham
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:38 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] forum

I'd agree.

I think part of the problem is that the knowledge on implementing
solutions in lesser used languages is partial and fragmented. I know
we barely have time to document our own internal code, without finding
time to look at ways of making the best of our learnings available to
other people to review, comment on and maybe learn from.

Personally i feel each day I'm learning more, finding new ways, or
developing new solutions to problems. I learn from others when i can,
and slowly develop a more robust internationalisation architecture.

Each new language we work with introduces new issues, and may require
modified or new approaches.

I guess time and financial resources.

The other issue we face here is that the skills and knowledge is
locked in one or two heads.  In order to future proof our projects we
need skills and knowledge transfer, internally and also externally. An
interesting challenge with limited resources.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Andrew Cunningham