ACORNS language revitalization software release 3.1 available

Dan Harvey harveyd at SOU.EDU
Tue Jan 1 18:14:06 UTC 2008

The 3.1 release of ACORNS language revitalization software is now available at http://cs.sou.edu/~harveyd/acorns. This software can be freely downloaded for non commercial use. Our hope is that many tribes will find it useful as they work to revitalize their language and culture.

This release corrects some bugs that came up and adds new features. The download web page also contains an alternate install procedure to avoid the security issues that come up on some systems. We've greatly improved the on-line documentation and added an ACORNS user manual in pdf format.

Among the new features are:
1) Recognition of all indigenous keyboards as long as they are properly installed on your system in ttf format.
2) An easier way to create web pages out of ACORNS lessons.
3) Automatic association of files with an '.lnx' extension with the ACORNS application.
4) Ability to launch ACORNS from a command line to open selected files.
4) Improved integration with MAC systems.

We plan to release version 4.0 this coming summer. It will include, among other things, a talking dictionary, with the ability to import electronic formats created by linguists. It will also include a couple of games making use of the dictionary.

Please let me know of any problems you might run into. We welcome your feedback (harvey at sou.edu).

With respect, dan