Mongolians first to discover America claims professor (fwd)

Dr. Dorene Wiese dpwiese at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 11 21:32:43 UTC 2008

 Dear ILAT LISTSERV.

The article on the Mongolians is very interesting, considering, when we visited there with the first American Indian group? in l980, they had
never heard of the Bering Strait theory. It is true, however, that when we took our group picture, some of us on Mongolian horses, in Ulan Batar,you could not tell who the Indians were and who the Mongolians were.? George Bordeaux has great film coverage of that historic event. It was a tremendous trip. I call that time, China before McDonalds.
Dorene

-----Original Message-----
From: phil cash cash <cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Sent: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 1:58 pm
Subject: [ILAT] Mongolians first to discover America claims professor (fwd)

Mongolians first to discover America claims professor

12:01 | 11/ 01/ 2008
http://en.rian.ru/world/20080111/96196977.html

BEIJING, January 11 (RIA Novosti) - A Mongolian professor of history has said
America was discovered by the Mongolians and not Christopher Columbus, as is
popularly believed, the Xinhua news agency reported late on Thursday.

Professor Sumiya Jambaldorj from the Genghis Khan University in the Mongolian
capital, UIan Bator, performed a study proving the similarity between American
place names and words in the Mongolian language.

"About 8,000 to 25,000 years ago, Mongols with stone tools crossed the Aleutian
Islands and arrived in America," Jambaldorj was reported as saying.

The academic said that over 20 place names in the Alaskan Aleutian Islands could
be Mongolian.

"Many names of places and rivers in the U.S. state of Alaska are believed to be
Mongolian," he said.

The news agency said there were similar words in a Native American language and
Mongolian, e.g. "hagaan," which means "ancestor" in Mongolian.

Jambaldorj said there was much in common between the ancestors of the Mongolians
and the Native Americans, adding that some types of stone tools found in the
Aleutian Islands had also been discovered in the Gobi desert area of Mongolia.