Remaining Oneida elders want language to live on (fwd link)

Sun Jan 20 14:47:47 UTC 2008

Posted January 18, 2008

Remaining Oneida elders want language to live on

ONEIDA — She remembers speaking Oneida as a child, in the days when she could
still use it to converse in living rooms and corner stores across the
reservation. Almost a century later, Maria Hinton is running out of people to
talk to.

"There is nobody to speak with," the 97-year-old great-grandmother says in
exasperation. "I'm just walking around my house speaking to myself."

Full article link below:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080118/GPG0101/801180700/1207/GPGnews