FW: FEL Info: upcoming discussion on endangered languages 29i08

Cunliffe D J (AT) djcunlif at GLAM.AC.UK
Tue Jan 29 12:59:03 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Thought this might be of interest - sorry for short notice!

Daniel.

________________________________

From: Nicholas Ostler [mailto:nicholas.ostler at googlemail.com]
Sent: 29 Ionawr 2008 12:46
To: nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
Subject: FEL Info: upcoming discussion on endangered languages 29i08

Dear All

You may be interested to know that there will be a discussion at 3 pm
today (GMT) an BBC Radio5 LIve, which besides myself will feature Davyth
Hicks of Eurolang (http://www.eurolang.net/), and Michael Fry
(http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/michael_fry/profile.html)
It looks like the programme will be strong on the Celtic side of things,
though it was actually inspired by the recent elegiac news stories on
Eyak (in Alaska), e.g.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2247922,00.html
and Dura (in the Hiimalayas)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7189898.stm

Details of podcast, interaction etc. can be found at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/mayo.shtml
Here's the BBC preview of what's in store:

Simon and guests discuss whether we should be trying to preserve all
languages, or is it a natural progression in our evolution that some of
them die out? Should we be putting energy and money in to the languages
that are flourishing and developing rather than trying to keep alive
those that are diminishing?

--

Nicholas Ostler

Chairman, Foundation for Endangered Languages

Registered Charity: England and Wales 1070616

172 Bailbrook Lane, Bath, BA1 7AA, England

nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk

http://www.ogmios.org