Common Sense English Act

awebster@siu.edu awebster at SIU.EDU
Thu Jan 31 22:38:16 UTC 2008

Dear all,

We should also remember the EEOC has filed lawsuits to protect
Native American languages, such as Navajo in EEOC v. RD's Drive
IN/Exxon. So it should be understood that this bill would
target Native languages as well as Spanish.

When I was working on the Navajo Nation in 2000, Prop 203 was
being debated (English for the children), and it was stunning
to realize that many people in Arizona did not realize the
ramifications that such a bill would have on Native language
programs.

The target here is Spanish (as it was with Prop 203), which is
wrong in my view in the first place. But more than that, there
is also the complete disregard for Native American languages
that such a bill exhibits.

Just my thoughts. Best, akw

Anthony K. Webster, Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology &