Earthquake-devastated culture fights for survival in China (fwd link)

Tue Jul 15 17:49:09 UTC 2008

Earthquake-devastated culture fights for survival in China

By Calum MacLeod, USA TODAY

BLACK TIGER VILLAGE, China — Ren Yongqing adjusts his goatskin vest, twists his
necklace of animal tusks and teeth and chants an ancient prayer for peace to
return to his mountain village shattered by the massive earthquake two months
ago.

Ren, 83, is one of only a few dozen shamans, or holy men, left among the Qiang,
an ethnic minority in China that has its own language, no written text and
relies on elders to hand down its ancient traditions through chants and
storytelling. "After the earthquake, I worry that we will not be able to pass
on the shibi (shaman) culture, and the Qiang culture," says Ren, sitting in a
makeshift house he now shares with 15 family members.

Access full article below:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-07-14-chinaquake_N.htm