Languages spoken in Oklahoma

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Jul 16 14:36:47 UTC 2008

Phil,
"-still spoken-" hmmm
I think this list below may refer only to fluent speakers.
I attend and participate in traditional ceremonies and prayers of Wyandot
and Seneca/Cayuga where the language is spoken.
During ceremony one might actually be immersed in hours of
our Iroquoian languages "still spoken"
Ceremonies themselves have preserved language, dance, and song
Not even to mention our annual Wyandotte language classes where children
are speaking and singing the language in the public school

(yet neither Wyandot(te) nor Seneca/Cayuga are on the list)

I know Ardina Moore  and she is the last fluent speaker of Quapaw
She may be the only Osage speaker on that list as well (a sister language)
but she has MANY students who are Quapaw tribal members.

"still spoken"
to me those kind of lists start sounding like   "how many Indians are left?"

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte Oklahoma