Languages spoken in Oklahoma

Wed Jul 16 16:59:50 UTC 2008

The 2007 Cultural Survival issue is devoted entirely to language
endangerement &
revitalization (though old news by now), so it is a good read and well
worth the
effort to find a copy.
It is mentioned that Seneca and Wyandotte have fluent speakers "outside" of
Oklahoma but not in...(but now we all know otherwise).
You are right in that spoken language in ceremonial settings seems to
fly under
the radar when considering language acquisition, maintainance, or
revitalization.  Certainly, a good case can be made for language acquisition
in ritual/religious settings.  In many instances, this area of language use
may be the ONLY  place where a current endangered language is spoken.
l8ter,
Phil Cash Cash
Quoting Richard Smith :