Languages spoken in Oklahoma

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Jul 16 20:02:33 UTC 2008

Wyandottes have no fluency inside or outside of Oklahoma
while Cayuga's here are fortunate to have 6-nation speakers
who visit and offer language aide.
A good Cayuga brother of mine told an Onondaga elder
he was sad that certain parts of language and culture were lost
She corrected him:
             "they are not lost ...only forgotten"

--RZS--

On 7/16/08 9:59 AM, "phil cash cash" <cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU> wrote:

> The 2007 Cultural Survival issue is devoted entirely to language endangerement
> & revitalization (though old news by now), so it is a good read and well worth
> the effort to find a copy.
>
> It is mentioned that Seneca and Wyandotte have fluent speakers "outside" of
> Oklahoma but not in...(but now we all know otherwise).
>
> You are right in that spoken language in ceremonial settings seems to fly
> under the radar when considering language acquisition, maintainance, or
> revitalization.  Certainly, a good case can be made for language acquisition
> in ritual/religious settings.  In many instances, this area of language use
> may be the ONLY  place where a current endangered language is spoken.
>
> l8ter,
> Phil Cash Cash
>
> Quoting Richard Smith <rzs at wildblue.net>:
>
>> > Phil,
>> > "-still spoken-" hmmm
>> > I think this list below may refer only to fluent speakers.
>> > I attend and participate in traditional ceremonies and prayers of Wyandot
>> > and Seneca/Cayuga where the language is spoken.
>> > During ceremony one might actually be immersed in hours of
>> > our Iroquoian languages "still spoken"
>> > Ceremonies themselves have preserved language, dance, and song
>> > Not even to mention our annual Wyandotte language classes where children
>> > are speaking and singing the language in the public school
>> >
>> > (yet neither Wyandot(te) nor Seneca/Cayuga are on the list)
>> >
>> > I know Ardina Moore  and she is the last fluent speaker of Quapaw
>> > She may be the only Osage speaker on that list as well (a sister language)
>> > but she has MANY students who are Quapaw tribal members.
>> >
>> > "still spoken"
>> > to me those kind of lists start sounding like   "how many Indians are
>> left?"
>> >
>> > Richard Zane Smith
>> > Wyandotte Oklahoma

At