Helper Neck

Richard LaFortune anguksuar at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 24 13:44:45 UTC 2008

"There are also significant numbers of items relating
to the development of orthography and literacy in
Central Alaskan Yup’ik, including early works relating
to Helper Neck’s independent orthography (late 19th
century), as well as the more recent efforts to create
a standard orthography (1960s). "
http://www.alaska.edu/uaf/anlc/cayupik/

The first speakers and translators mentioned in the
article are all my family as well- Mary Gregory, etc;
and my (adoptive) family represented hemispheric
denominational leadership in the delta Moravian
missions from the 1950s and up to 1962.  Our family
used to spend the summers with (Rev) Kurt Vitt and the
Henklemens in Canada and Alaska in the 60s.  My dad's
relative Bellarmine LaFortune is also considered the
most famous missionary in Alaskan state history- I've
got a decent biography of the man on my bookshelf,
written by the Jesuits (Lafortune was SJ) and funded
by Alaska Humanities.

I had the people at American Philosophical Society
Collection in Philadelphia help me look through a
bunch of the early Moravian language cataloguing at
the  about 10 years ago- primarily Deleware, etc,
documented by Heckewelder I believe.
Anguksuar