Court rules against Yup ’'ik as an historically written language ...

Linda Lanz lanz at RICE.EDU
Fri Jul 25 13:30:08 UTC 2008

Hi Bill,

Yes, we do have the same long-winded propositions and ballot measures
written in cryptic legalese in Alaska that everyone else seems to
have. Here's a look at the ones coming up in the next election for
anyone curious about the English version:

http://www.elections.alaska.gov/petitions/status.php

Younger Yup'ik speakers are literate, but it's really the elders (many
of whom are monolingual) that have trouble with voting because most of
the elders can't read Yup'ik. If the state provided printed Yup'ik
ballots, it wouldn't help much unless someone could read it aloud for
the elders (and as Bill pointed out, secret ballots are not secret if
someone's in the voting booth with you). Having a CD with audio
translations of the ballot that people can listen to in advance
(including on the radio in Yup'ik-speaking areas) seems more effective
in terms of the number of speakers it would reach. It sounds like
there's some likelihood that the judge will decide that an audio
version of the ballot should be produced. Let's hope so!

Regards,
Linda Lanz