web tool help

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jul 28 19:15:33 UTC 2008

>For more advanced needs, it might be interesting to get xfst and lexc
>source code and make some adaptations (I have no clue whether Xerox made
>their source code available, nor whether their license would allow any
>modification, though).

xfst and lexc are proprietary. Xerox does not release the source.
They put a lot of  work into optimizations such as compressing the
compiled transducers and consider the greater speed and smaller
footprint a selling point. However, although I am a fan of free
software (in fact, the Xerox tools are the only
non-free software that I use), I doubt very much that anyone would
have a need to modify xfst or lexc since they are general purpose
tools.

For non-commercial purposes they can be obtained cheaply as they
come on a CD with the book _Finite State Morphology_.
(http://www.amazon.com/Finite-State-Morphology-Kenneth-Beesley/dp/1575864347/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217272389&sr=8-1)
See: http://www.stanford.edu/~laurik/fsmbook/home.html for more info.

Bill