Bye-bye

awebster@siu.edu awebster at SIU.EDU
Tue Jun 3 16:02:51 UTC 2008

Rudy Troike's post reminded me of the native speaker of Wuhan
(a dialect of Mandarin) I had working for my linguistic
fieldmethods class this spring. When we elicited the word for
goodbye, she gave the standard zia jian, but then added that
all the young speakers (she herself was young), said "bye-bye."
And it was the reduplicated form, not just "bye" as I would
say. best, akw