Bye-bye

Jimmy/ Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Tue Jun 3 16:56:33 UTC 2008

And the two Chinese characters appropriated for the loan
expression bye-bye originally means "to worship".

But then the problem is: when these two characters are fixed for
writing down the expression (and they are pretty much fixed now),
I wonder how many Chinese varieties would pronounce them as close
to English bye-bye. That is, Mandarin speakers would pronounce
these two characters as [bai-bai] or [bay-bay]; but speakers of
some other Chinese/Han language varieties may not.

the danger of making Mandarin the default "Chinese language" + the
danger of writing bias...

Jimmy/Chun