sai jian

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Tue Jun 3 22:50:28 UTC 2008

A while ago I discussed non-English forms of 13375p34k (internet
parlance) on my blog, and a sinophile friend of mine added in the
comments that in Chinese chatrooms:

    88 pronounced ba-ba, this is used to say ‘bye-bye’

    886
    same as above except the ‘liu’ expresses la
    ‘bye-bye-la’

Thought I'd contribute that.

<addendum>
In case you're interested in some others:

    4242
    ’si er si er’ With a southern accented Mandarin, ’si’ is pronounced
    the same as ’shi’. ‘er’ takes on the exclamatory ‘a’
    ’si a si a’ meaning ‘yeah, yeah!’

    9494
    ‘jiu si jiu si’
    Same as above, except ‘jiu si jiu si’, this is how a southerner
    would pronounce ‘exactly, exactly’.

</addendum>

-Aidan

--