weather

Ngukurr Language Centre linguist3 at KATHLANGCENTRE.ORG.AU
Wed Jun 4 22:48:43 UTC 2008

Out here we are beginning to enjoy some cooler weather, at least at
night and when the sky is clear.  Also good news.

People like myself are Caucasian, or munanga, as we are called here.
but because of past language work I am called the Alawa olgomen (Alawa
old woman, olgomen being a title of respect.  Forty years ago I was the
Alawa girl.  People are trying to revitalise/keep going/sensitise
people to at least five languages represented here in descendants of
those who once spoke them (some still do - a very little).  The Ngukurr
community celebrates its centenary in August 2008: it was a church
mission providing a safe haven for people who others were trying to
wipe out.  The language of everyday communication is Kriol, an
English-lexified creole which reflects patterns of the indigenous
language structure.  In Kriol there are also a number of local language
words, and even a couple from the old Sydney language across the
continent.

Murru (that'll do, OK from Alawa)
Margaret Sharpe
Ngukurr Language Centre