[PALNet-general] Utilities for analyzing keyboards?

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Mon Jun 30 13:03:05 UTC 2008

Hi Martin, all,

Martin, your point is well taken, but I'd see it as a complementary
approach, not an alternative. It seems like there are so many possible ways
of providing for extended character and diacritic input, that tools to
analyze them before attempting user trials with a select number would be
very helpful. This is the usual path of product research and development in
other spheres of activity as well.

Re placement (Tunde's suggestion; Andrew's and Martin's replies), I think
there are a lot of people who could suggest better total rearrangements
(remixes?) of the keyboard. However, until the hoped-for day when LED key
keyboards like the Optimus become a lot less expensive, our strategy for
Latin-based orthographies will have to be to work with the base QWERTY or
AZERTY layouts. This is not only for users who are familiar with them, but
also because in effect repainting the keys would lead to a whole other set
of problems and then too, and for total novices to computing, it may be
unfair to initiate them into a totally different key arrangement than one
they may encounter elsewhere (sort of the problem the DVORAK layout has had
in English).

Don