Distant Native languages bridge Bering Sea (fwd link)

John Atkinson johnacko at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Mar 5 02:11:45 UTC 2008

phil cash cash wrote:

>Distant Native languages bridge Bering Sea
>Siberian culture's words have echo in North America
>
>By GEORGE BRYSON
>gbryson at adn.com
>Published: March 4th, 2008 12:41 AM
>
>A remote population of a few hundred indigenous Siberians who live thousands of
>miles west of Alaska speak a language that appears to be an ancient relative of
>more than three dozen Native languages in North America, experts say.
>
>A panel of respected linguists who met in Anchorage on Friday are hailing new
>research that links the Old World language of Ket, still spoken sparingly along
>the Yenisei River in western Siberia, and the sprawling New World family of
>Na-Dene languages -- a broad grouping that encompasses the many Athabascan
>tribes in Alaska, along with the Tlingit and Eyak people, as well as Indian
>populations in western Canada and the American Southwest, including the Navajo
>and the Apache.
>
>Full article link below:
>http://www.adn.com/front/story/334139.html

Well, Comrie's certainly no lumper, and he's written about Ket
elsewhere.  So if he says there's probably something in it, I'll go
along with that. One wonders whether Ket and Na-Dene separated back in
Siberia, or whether the Ket migrated back over Bering Strait some time
in the last few thousand years.

A pity that newspaper article gives no references, presumably because
Vajda hasn't published it yet in the open literature.   I'll be looking
out for it when it is.

John.