Windows Vista & fieldwork

Daryn McKenny daryn at ARWARBUKARL.COM.AU
Thu Mar 27 23:25:28 UTC 2008

Hi Phil,

I think after reading that article you would actually have sore eyes and a boggling mind.

Anyway my simplified experiences with Vista are as such:

-All of my computers/laptops are setup to dual boot between Vista and XP Pro SP2.
-XP is initially loaded with what I call "the language toolkit software", what the toolkit comprises of can be viewed here http://www.arwarbukarl.net.au/blog/?page_id=32
-So while I test each product on Vista I at least know that I have XP on hand to use that program if there is a problem.
-I, like many, always have the latest version of each product loaded on Vista and XP.
-With my experiences I am now booting into XP less and less and can't remember the last time I did a task in XP.
-Over the last 12 months I have been working with community people around Australia who have been fortunate enough to take advantage of the low price of laptops and desktops and of course these all come with Vista installed.
- So as we are also software developers, it is to our benefit that our product works with Vista.

The only major problem that we seem to have with Vista is slower data transfer speeds over LAN and USB, these problems seem to be tied up with certain new algorithms that Vista uses when preparing data to transfer.  I have been recently investigating this and have concluded that I may try some 3rd party Explorers so as I bypass the Vista window explorer.

Overall I do find Vista a much better OS to use than XP.

Also, if you have not for profit status you can obtain Microsoft Software at next to nothing prices through there Donation programs.

For those people that don’t know me this is all from the perspective of an Aboriginal person doing language work.

The main products that we use are Miromaa, Lexique Pro, Audacity and the Office 2007 suite of programs.

Regards

Daryn

Arwarbukarl Cultural Resource Association Inc.

Read our Indigenous Language BLOG at http://www.arwarbukarl.net.au/blog/

P | 02 4954 6899    F | 02 4954 3899    E | daryn at arwarbukarl.com.au    W | www.arwarbukarl.com.au

Please note that we have recently moved to our new location at Cardiff.

  Please consider the environment before printing this email

The Arwarbukarl Cultural Resource Association Inc. respects the privacy of individuals and strives to comply with all areas of the Privacy Act. The contents of this email are intended for the purpose of the person or persons named in either the "To" or "CC" boxes of the email. Any person not named in these boxes in receipt of this email should immediately delete this email and advise the sender accordingly.