re SIL

Richard LaFortune anguksuar at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 5 18:06:43 UTC 2008

I forwarded this earlier to Rudy and rec'd a response.
 Some people would assert that some evangelical
translations efforts have advanced applied
-not theoretical- linguistics...except First Speakers
are required for applied fieldwork and other tasks of
science.  And the early and emerging information about
these outfits over the past couple of decades
convincingly alleges that these reactionary
denominational translators were all about neutalizing
(and you can interpret that word in its most sobering
sense) the very people who were first speakers,
because of fights over natural and political
resources.  There is no valid argument for any
government surveillance that wipes out a quarter
million Native first speakers; there is no balance in
which a list of languages outweighs the lives of
sovereign people in our ancestral domains by force of
violence.  My own family are leading heirarchy in one
of the minority evangelical denominations in North
America, so I know from missions; and I'm a Native
person whose lineage is straght-up medicine people as
well.  I was raised not to express an opinion unless
it was considered and useful in some way.  But
that's...

Just an opinion
Anguksuar (Richard LaFortune)

> A lot of people in the field disagree with you Rudy-
> with all due respect- folks from the aeryies of the
> Academy, to the corn fields and jungles where SIL
and
> New Tribes Mission have operated over the decades.
> This includes people who have spoken to me
anecdotally
> and have no particular political axes to grind.
>
> I suggest interested people on ILAT take a look at
> "Thy Will Be Done:  The Conquest of the Amazon :
> Nelson Rockefeller and Evangelism in the Age of Oi";
> and "The Missionaries", by Norman Lewis.  To use the
> phrase 'without substantiation' suggests that a
great
> deal of scholarship and actual substantiation from
> international government agencies, to personal
> communications by people of regard.  Who cares if
they