re SIL

Jan Tucker jtucker at STARBAND.NET
Tue May 6 01:45:20 UTC 2008

Richard,
    I was at a "primitive skills" event last weekend. I was listening to
what I thought was a group of men who were "End Timers". They were fired up
with the "word" in their flint knapping circle. I was sitting quietly sewing
a deer hide to smoke in a demonstration. Anyway, I let it out I was an
anthropologist and spent the rest of the weekend being interrogated about my
beliefs. It was tough, my point though is that I hadn't realized how
important the phrase "In the beginning was the Word" to these Southern
Christians until this weekend.  It made me realize why the Bible is so
important to this group, and realize why the missionaries have become
linguists, and translated the bible into so many different languages. Maybe
they are becoming like their God, being the first to share the "Word". Their
zealot like enthusiasm seems to suggest this to me. I agree after talking to
these people with what you said here

>From his paradigm window, these natives are children of "the fall" of
> a literal Adam and Eve, and they need to be rescued at any cost.
> I think Its important for us to understand what compels missionary work,
> even if their view of reality is MAJOR different than our own.

I heard this same kind of thinking about the unsaved, and a story about
someone (Adam or Adam's brother???) taking a wife from the land of Nod or
something. Wish I'd played closer attention now. The person was suggesting
the land of Nod was populated by other people or maybe the  unsaved people.
All this was suggested with questions and seemingly open for interpretation.

Understanding the perspective of the Christian missionaries "paradigm
window" is useful to defend against the assimilations pressures that often
begun with adopting their religion.

Jan Tucker
Applied Cultural Anthropologist
Liberal Arts Department