China

Jimmy/ Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Tue May 6 06:34:41 UTC 2008

The so-called "Chinese culture" has a strong bias against cultural
and linguistic diversity. This preference to singularity may have
made it easy to see China-PRC as other European colonizers, and
hence we bring up western theories that perceive modern
nationalism and other -isms.

But I think Chinese singularity has a different, and probably
historically longer, root. I'd like to think that it is in the
language and the culture, but really I am not sure what
"culture"-singular, that may be. What's "Chinese" anyway? Now
people think of Mandarin as "the Chinese language," but Mandarin
was only made into the National Language in the 1920's by the
Chinese Nationalist Party KMT that formed Republic of China on the
Mainland and then retreated to and occupied Taiwan in 1949 after
losing their "original homeland" to the communists. ROC govt in
Taiwan has reduced the indigenous Austronesian languages from 30
to somewhere around 15.  PRC, or the communists, inherited
Mandarin as its NL and then designed similar policies that have
committed linguistic and cultural genocide in the Mainland, and
that's why we are talking about Tibet right now (Please, don't
forget the Uyghur - or East Turkestan. Compared to the Tibetan,
the Uyghur is much ignored by the international media). Meanwhile,
the Singabore govt has made Mandarin the "only" Chinese language
the Chinese Singaporeans "should" all speak. Ironically, NONE of
the so-labeled "Chinese groups" in Singapore spoke Mandarin as
their first language before the LP was implemented. NONE!!!

So...China-PRC, Taiwan-ROC, Singapore... The problem of the
observed racist imperialism in these regions is probably not
communism or Marxism, but something else that has made "Chinese";
something that's quite obscure by now.

Oh, I think Confucianism has a lot to do with it. Instead of
"benevolent teacher," many studies have now revealed a sexist and
racist Confucius through examining his words, many of which are
now commonsense idioms in Mandarin. Examples: (1) said to a woman
- "If you are married to a chiken-man, obey the chicken; if you
are married to a dog-man, obey the dog"; (2) "supposedly," a
savage thanked the Chinese Confucian teacher Guanzhong by saving
them from their vulgar native culture - "Without Guanzhong, we
would never learn to tie our hair and we would still wear our
clothes in the wrong way"

Since these thoughts, stories, and words are encoded into the
language, it should not matter whether PRC govt really did abolish
Confucian symbols during the Cultural Revolution...