Nez Perce linguistics

Scott DeLancey delancey at UOREGON.EDU
Wed May 7 20:54:53 UTC 2008

This is apparently a recent development in Nez Perce,
representing two different developments of an old frozen
imperfective *-s suffix.  The c-stems originally had final
*-n, and the modern /c/ < *ns.  Swadesh figured it out a long
time ago, Noel Rude has written about it.  Some of those final
*-n may have been morphological and meaningful, but probably
not all of them.

Scott DeLancey