BSU professor to write first Ojibwe grammar book (fwd link)

Thu May 8 17:25:53 UTC 2008

BSU professor to write first Ojibwe grammar book
Associate professor of Ojibwe awarded a Guggenheim Foundation fellowship to
write book

May 7, 2008 - 9:18am — Journal Staff

Bemidji State University Associate Professor of Ojibwe Anton Treuer has been
awarded a fellowship from the Guggenheim Foundation to continue his work to
develop the first grammar manual of the Ojibwe language. Treuer is thought to
be the first BSU faculty member to receive a Guggenheim Fellowship in the
83-year history of the Fellowships.

“This is an exciting and important development,” Treuer said. “There are no
grammar books for the Ojibwe language. Early missionaries did some brief
sketches, 30 to 40 pages, but there are no pedagogical manuals for us to teach
from. This is something we must have if we’re going to develop things like
immersion programs to preserve and teach the language. All languages that are
alive have these things.”

Access full article below:
http://www.ifallsdailyjournal.com/news/education-news/bsu-professor-write-first-ojibwe-grammar-book-8772