re SIL

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat May 10 00:53:22 UTC 2008

Well, I didn't hear it myself but a friend reports having
had an argument with an orthodox Jewish woman about the use of Hebrew
as an every-day language (which some orthodox Jews oppose) in
which she said: "If Yiddish was good enough for Moses it should be
good enough for us." But that might be apocryphal too. On the other
hand, some stories that are so good that they almost have to be
apocryphal are true. For example, there is a story that some linguists
may know about Paul Kiparsky being stopped by a California State
Trooper which, like a number of Kiparsky stories, almost has to be
apocryphal. That particular one isn't: I was there.

Bill