The Story Behind Each Word....

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 10 18:46:04 UTC 2008

Taanshi,

I have been thinking about the use/meaning of "word" and  ran across
this wonderful quote from Leslie Marmon Silko's work "Ceremony".  I
cannot match the eloquence of the writer, so I will add no commentary.
 (None is needed....)

"But you know, grandson, this world is fragile."
The word he choose to express fragile was filled with the intricacies
of a continuing process, and with a strength inherent in spider webs
woven across paths through sand hills where early in the morning the
sun becomes entangled in each filament of web.  It took a long time to
explain the fragility and intricacy because no word exists alone, and
the reason for choosing each word had to be explained with a story
about why it must be said this certain way.  That was the
responsibility that went with being human...,the story behind each
word must be told so that there could be no mistake in the meaning of
what had been said; and this demanded great patience and love.
Ceremony, pp.35-36, Leslie Marmon Silko, 1977

Eekoshi pitamaa.
Heather