build a font for your endangered language...

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Fri May 16 21:16:58 UTC 2008

Aloha We created and used our custom fonts back in 1994 and are still
slowly trying to wean ourselves from them and switch completely to
Unicode. Chris nails it - in order for it to work your users need to
install them or use something like GlyphGate which will embed them in
the web documents. You can make installation as easy as possible and
by and large only the hard-core language enthusiast and people who
absolutely have to will actually install them.

Our custom fonts are largely used now for publishing work since we
have so many more of those than there are fonts with all of the right
glyphs in Unicode, but for web use haven't used them in 4-5 years.

Keola

On 17 Mei 2008, at 8:12 AM, Christopher Doty wrote:

> The problem is more with web-based blogging platforms which, like
> email applications, don't allow you to install fonts.  The additional
> problem is that, even if you use WordPress, anyone else in the world
> who views the blog won't be able to see the characters correctly.  The
> same for email: the program you use might allow you to type in any
> font you like, but it will likely end up garbled if you're emailing
> someone with the hotmail address..
>
> Chris
>
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:03 PM, William J Poser <wjposer at ldc.upenn.edu
> > wrote:
>> Christopher Doty writes:
>>> The problem is that there are lots of venues where a font simply
>>> CAN'T
>>> be installed (cell phones, webmail applications, and blogging
>>> platforms come immediately to mind), as well as public computers, as
>>> you noted.
>>
>> Yes, that is true of cell phones. Is it true of webmail applications
>> and blogging platforms? I don't have enough experience of webmail
>> to know,
>> but I have used Movable Type and Wordpress for blogging and they
>> don't
>> seem to have a problem using whatever fonts I install on my system.
>>
>> Bill

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.