Steve Cisler Passes

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Sat May 17 04:27:52 UTC 2008

I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Cisler today.
Steve was a champion of community networking for many years and helped
countless individuals and communities, including our Hawaiian language
community. He also assisted other Native American groups with the use
of technology to strengthen their communities.

The director of our Hawaiian Language Center and I met Steve at a
community networking conference in Honolulu in 1993, when we were
looking to start a Hawaiian language bulletin-board service for the
immersion schools. He showed us FirstClass, the software we used to
create Leoki, and continue to use to this day. He lent us (in his
capacity with the Apple Library of Tomorrow program) the computer that
we used to establish Leoki, and when we provide we could accomplish
what we wanted, he gave us the computer as well as another which
became our first web server in 1995. While obviously on a different
server now, this was the first generation of Kualono. While other,
bigger name people of that era made big promises which never
materialized, Steve worked quietly and with little fanfare to help us.
I always have referred to him as Leoki's "Godfather".

Steve and I stayed in touch after he left Apple, but hadn’t
communicated for about two years. He will be deeply missed. Some of
the many people who knew Steve and benefited from him kindness and
dedication have left comments here:

http://communitynetworking2008.blogspot.com/2008/05/community-networking-champion-steve.html

Keola

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.