build a font for your endangered language...

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Sat May 17 13:33:20 UTC 2008

Just catching up with this thread. As Bill pointed out, it is custom
encoding (not fonts) that is the problem.

The way I explain it to people, there are two issues with extended Latin
characters:
1) are the ones you need encoded in Unicode?
2) are they included in any existing (Unicode) fonts?

The answer to #1 might need a little research in the Unicode tables, and in
the case of less-common character+diacritic combinations, one should look at
whether a combining diacritic combination will resolve the issue (note
Andrew's response). See http://www.unicode.org/charts/ (and check also the
IPA extensions which are rather unhelpfully not also listed on that page -
see http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html#PhoneticSymbols ).

Usually the problem is #2 - the lack of representation of less commonly used
characters in available fonts.

Also, many less-commonly used characters are not totally unrepresented in
fonts, so on many computers, text made in a custom Unicode font for a
particular orthography might pick up the appropriate characters from other
fonts. Basically the realm of extended characters is not the wilderness it
once was, though there is still work to do.

FYI, the new PanAfrican Localisation Network project (which succeeds the
PanAfrican Localisation project) has a sub-project on open-source extended
Latin fonts - extending existing fonts mainly - for African orthographies.

On re-encoding, this has been an issue in some countries in Africa too. I
may have mentioned on this list an old French funded project run by RIFAL to
convert text in legacy fonts into Unicode -
http://www.panafril10n.org/PanAfrLoc/RIFAL

Don