Director Makes the First Film in Inuit Dialect (fwd link)

Thu May 29 16:49:55 UTC 2008

Director Makes the First Film in Inuit Dialect

May 28, 2008
By Halley Bondy

When actor and filmmaker Andrew Okpeaha MacLean was growing up in Fairbanks and
Barrow, Alaska, the English language dominated his film and TV viewing -- and
his vocabulary -- at the expense of his mother's native Inuit dialect, Inupiaq.
"My mom tried to teach me with varying degrees of success," he said. "But my
generation was absorbed in English.... Now I feel like I lost something."

Access full article below:
http://www.backstage.com/bso/news_reviews/nyc/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003809242