Native linguists

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 3 17:03:55 UTC 2008

I am not sure how many more have been added, but I would like to mention
one who should be included on any such list and someone whose recent passing
has been mourned by many people in and out of the community. This language
teacher worked  in the community and at Tohono O'odham Community College --
and was a remarkable man who touched many lives not only with his passon for
teaching and transmitting his Indigenous language, but for his extraordinary
kindness and wonderful sense of humor. He will be so missed. Attached is an
article from the Tucson paper:
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/mailstory-clickthru/263589.php --the tribal
governments also closed down for a day of recognition in his honor.

Let's all try to keep this list growing and give at least some recognition
to the many community-based scholars, in particular, who work so hard for
the languages and their communities.

Thanks for bringing it up again, Heather...

Susan

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Heather Souter <hsouter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Taanshi, hello,
>
> Are there any more indigenous scholars/community intellectuals that should
> be added to the list since the last contribution?
>
> Eekoshi.  That's it.
> Heather Souter
> Camperville, MB
>
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2007 at 7:34 PM, Haley De Korne <hal1403 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> From Michigan:
>> Kenny Neganigwanwe Pheasant (originally from Wikwemikong First Nation) is
>> an amazing resource for Northern Michigan Anishinaabe language learners.
>> He's created a website www.anishinaabemdaa.com, several cdroms, runs a
>> summer language camp, and drives great distances teaching in his own
>> interactive style.
>> Helen Roy, also originally from Wikwemikong, teaches 'Ojibwe'/
>> Anishinaabemowin at Michigan State University, participates in countless
>> other language events, and has created several music CDs of popular songs
>> sung in Anishinaabemowin with her group 'Diiva miinwa Davis'.
>> To name a few... This could be a long list!!!
>> Regards,
>> Haley De Korne
>>

>> *Susan Penfield <susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM>* wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for this, David..
>>
>> Phil and I have had this discussion often and the term "community
>> intellectuals' sometimes surfaces --
>>
>> While I realize your list will focus on currently practicing folks, I
>> would like to acknowledge someone who passed away a few years ago but whose
>> knowledge and contribution still are valuable to the Mohave language
>> community: Leona Little.
>> Leona was an elder I worked with for some time and was the first - perhaps
>> only- person to develop full literacy in Mohave and began, of her own
>> intiative, to do full translations and transcriptions of traditional
>> stories. There are others currently working in this direction and following
>> her example (including two of her daughters who are just recently getting
>> really interested in working with their heritage language).
>>
>> Please add Amelia Flores  (Mohave, enrolled at Colorado River Indian
>> Tribes where she is the tribal librarian and archivist)to your list. Amelia
>> is finishing her MA in Native American languages at the U of Arizona and is
>> developing a community-friendly grammar of Mohave as part of her work. As
>> well, she is teaching classes in Mohave and developing a carefully staged
>> curriculum for the language. Seems like she might bridge the criteria for
>> both lists!
>>
>> Best,
>> Susan
>>

>> On 10/30/07, David Lewis <David.Lewis at grandronde.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I feel that the current structure of the native linguist lists ignores
>>> the incredible contribution of natives without advanced degrees. In
>>> native society, within the Native worldview these are for many the true
>>> linguists and those who carry power within their society. I understand
> [...]

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
(Currently on leave to the National Science Foundation.
E-mail: spenfiel at nsf.gov)

Department of English (Primary)
Faculty affiliate in Linguistics, Language, Reading and Culture,
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT),
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
The Southwest Center
University of Arizona,
Tucson, Arizona 85721