Class language limit 'death of our culture': Aboriginal school head (fwd link)

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Nov 17 20:11:43 UTC 2008

Actually, forcing classes to be taught in English actually works against student learning, because the references and foundation are unfamiliar, and there is no prior knowledge. Education research is showing over and over (and over) that students will develop superficial skills in English, but these are not sufficient to support them in learning disciplinary knowledge. Also, forcing English classes creates a greater demand for non-Indigenous/Aboriginal teachers and less for Native speakers. This depresses the community because people who do get the kinds of degrees that enable them to teach cannot find positions near their homes, families and communities, and further erodes the culture.

Is there anything we can do as a community to help?

Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of phil cash cash
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 10:40 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] Class language limit 'death of our culture': Aboriginal school head (fwd link)

Class language limit 'death of our culture': Aboriginal school head

Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31am AEDT
ABC News
Australia

The head of a remote Aboriginal school in the Northern Territory says the
Government's plan to limit the hours classes can be taught in traditional
languages will not help students achieve better results and could lead to the
death of their culture.

Access full article below:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/16/2420934.htm?section=australia